If you have acne scarring, you know the effects can be more than just skin-deep – they can impact your entire life in very real ways. You have probably tried every “miracle” cream, toner and serum on the drugstore shelf, only to be frustrated when they don’t work as well as advertised. Even your closest friends and family members may not fully understand or appreciate just how profoundly acne has influenced your self-esteem over the years.
If you’ve struggled with acne scars for a long time, the good news is that you don’t have to suffer the loss of self-confidence anymore. Bellus Medical, a leader in medical aesthetics products and devices, developed SkinPen as a new option specifically for adults with acne scarring. It is the world’s only FDA-cleared microneedling device that is clinically proven to safely and effectively treat facial acne scars for patients aged 22 and older.
In addition to improving the look of skin scars, microneedling is also a powerful remedy for reversing some loss of collagen due to the natural aging process. It can help turn back the clock on common skin complaints such as wrinkles, fine lines and sagging or drooping skin.
How Does Microneedling Work?
Microneedling has become increasingly popular among busy women and men who want to improve the look of their skin and create a younger appearance without resorting to more invasive treatments.
When used by a trained expert, the SkinPen device uses tiny needles to create precisely placed microscopic punctures in the surface layer of your skin. The treatment triggers your body’s natural wound healing process and stimulates the growth of two key building blocks of healthy skin: the proteins collagen and elastin.
When your skin has wounds such as those created by the SkinPen, it undergoes a three-stage repair process:
● Phase I – Inflammation. Piercing the skin triggers your immune system to disinfect the wounds, remove impurities, increase blood flow and begin to create new tissue.
● Phase II – Proliferation. The wound gets rebuilt with new cells, as well as collagen and elastin. Additionally, a new network of blood vessels develops.
● Phase III – Remodeling. After new dermal tissue and blood vessels have healed the wound, new, stronger collagen can contract to create a tightening, uplifted effect on skin.
Who Is a Good Candidate for SkinPen Microneedling?
Because it’s minimally invasive, virtually anyone can safely undergo microneedling therapy. SkinPen doesn’t cause changes in pigmentation like other devices, so it is an ideal treatment for all skin types and tones, including darker skin that’s more susceptible to hyperpigmentation.
Are SkinPen Sessions Painful?
Though most patients do not report the procedure as being painful, you may ask about applying a topical anesthetic to your skin beforehand to make your treatment session even more comfortable.
How Many SkinPen Treatments Will You Need?
While most people require a series of SkinPen procedures, spaced several weeks apart, you may see noticeable results after just one treatment as your body’s healing process begins to rebuild collagen. The number of microneedling sessions you will need will depend on your individual goals and the quality of your skin, so your treatment plan will be tailored specifically to you.
What Are the Benefits of SkinPen Microneedling?
SkinPen microneedling is a quick, in-office procedure that takes 30 minutes to an hour and results in smoother, firmer and more even-looking skin. Microneedling targets the skin on a deeper level, repairing it in a way that is far superior to other treatments. There are many other advantages of this revolutionary procedure as well:
● Little to no downtime for healing
● No post-procedure activity restrictions
● Clinically proven to be safe and effective for all skin tones and types
● Comfortable experience
● Short procedure time
● Ideal any time of the year
● Gradually creates visible results
● Minimally invasive
● Little to no risks
● Makes topical treatments penetrate skin better
What Should You Expect After Your SkinPen Procedure?
Though there are relatively few side effects of microneedling – especially when compared to more invasive procedures – there are some things to be prepared for before you go in for your appointment.
● It’s normal for your skin to have some redness, warmth and sensitivity for the first 24 to 48 hours after your microneedling treatment. The effects are akin to having a mild to moderate sunburn. Wash your face with a gentle cleanser and tepid water, and do not use any topical products that might irritate your skin and slow the healing process.
● If you normally wear makeup, don’t apply it with a makeup brush, especially if the brush is not clean.
● Do not take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen, as these will interfere with your body’s natural healing process and make your microneedling results less effective. If you experience discomfort, look for a pain medication that does not have anti-inflammatory properties. You can also apply cool compresses to your face to manage heightened skin sensitivity.
● To maintain results from your treatment, always apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 25 to prevent sun damage and premature aging, and avoid prolonged exposure to the sun.
● In the first few days after your microneedling procedure, you may begin to experience skin dryness and flaking due to an increased turnover of skin cells. Do not pick or scratch at your face, but instead keep it moisturized. Microneedling creates tiny channels in the skin that allow topical products to penetrate more deeply, enhancing the anti-aging benefits of your treatment.
● For maximum results, always carefully follow the post-procedure instructions your medical provider gives you.
Book Your SkinPen Treatment at University Park Dermatology & Medical Spa
Microneedling with SkinPen is the newest addition to the range of premium cosmetic and medical skin care procedures we offer at University Park Dermatology & Medical Spa. We are proud to serve clients in the Sarasota and Gibsonton areas with comprehensive, high-quality care in an environment that prioritizes personalized attention. To learn more about whether SkinPen is right for you, contact us today to book your private, no-obligation consultation.